Back to resources


Clinical counselling helps people navigate life’s challenges and transitions. Clinical counselling is typically sought when a person experiences challenging situations, thoughts, feelings, or circumstances. Clinical counselling is provided by Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCCs) who are specifically trained to help people maintain their mental health and well-being. (BC Association of Clinical Counsellors, 2024).

When should I seek clinical counselling?

Below are some signs that you may want to consider seeking counselling (Evergreen Rehab & Wellness, 2024):

  • You have trouble controlling your emotions.
  • You may feel stuck.
  • Your Productivity is affected.
  • You experienced trauma
  • You may experience changes in your sleep (too little or too much sleep)
  • Your appetite change and you may tend to eat too much or too little.
  • You may experience trouble in managing relationships.
  • You have lost interest in the things that you previously liked (ongoing or happening for a long period of time).
  • You are grieving.
  • You are addicted to habits that suddenly popped out.
  • You do not have any support system.

What should I consider when I am looking for a counsellor? (BCACC, 2024)

  • The clinical counsellor’s level of education and training.
  • If they practice under a code of ethics that is available for you to read.
  • How long have they been in practice.
  • Their availability relative to your schedule.
  • Those recommended by a friend or colleague.
  • If they offer phone support or crisis intervention between sessions.
  • Their hourly fee.
  • Check that the RCC designation is covered under your extended health plan.
  • If there is a complaints process through their professional association
  • Listen to your intuition when you conduct your interview and trust your first impressions.

How do I find a counsellor?

Refer to BCACC Find a counsellor. You can filter the counsellor based on the criteria you selected. Fees varies depending on the counsellor.

I could not afford a counsellor.

Free Counselling Society Canada (FCSC)

  • Connect clients with 12 sessions and more free-of-charge counselling (video call or phone call) with minimal waitlist.
  • Services in multiple languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, and many more
  • CANNOT support clients with active psychosis.
  • For more information, please refer to FCSC

SUCCESS Individual & Family Counselling

  • Individual counselling for strass management, loss and grief, workplace issues, relationship difficulties, abuse/trauma, and other issues.
  • Services available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, and Farsi
  • Fees are charged on a sliding scale based on income. Services may be free based on eligibility criteria
  • Contact number:
    • Cantonese / Mandarin service: 604-408-7266
    • Korean Service: 604-468-6005, ext. 2
    • Farsi Service: 604-468-6100, ext. 1

Stopping The Violence Counselling (Attira Women’s Resource Society)

  • Offers one-on-one counselling for women who have experienced violence and/or abuse in their lifetime.
  • Offers a safe space to address issues that arise from their experiences and strives to empower women to make decisions that feel right for them.
  • Contact:

SALAL Sexual Violence Support Centre

  • Provide individual and group counselling for survivors of sexualized violence.
  • The counselling service is only available English.
  • To book an appointment, please call the 24-hour crisis & information line:
    • Lower mainland: 604-255-6344
    • National Toll-free: 1-877-392-7583
  • For more information, please refer to SALAL Counselling & Support Group.

Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV) Trauma Counselling Programs.

  • Offers professional, compassionate counselling in Vancouver, richmond, and New Westminster.
  • Serve women (cis and trans), people of all marginalized genders (including Two-Spirit, non-binary, agender, and gender diverse people), children, youth, and families who are survivoes of trauma, sexual abuse, and family violence.
  • Please contact: 
  • For more information, please refer to FSGV Trauma Counselling Program

Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS) Counselling Program

  • Long term individual counselling is available for women currently experiencing abuse or who are survivors of abuse including childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault.
  • Contact BWSS crisis + intake line: 1-855-687-1868
  • For more information, refer to BWSS Counselling Program.

YWCA Metro Vancouver - PEACE Program

  • Provides individual or group counselling for children and youth, ages 3 to 18, who have witnessed and / or experienced abuse.
  • Contact 778-222-1452 or 604-734-5517 then press 3.
  • For more information, refer to PEACE Program
Back to Top